During 1785 a large addition of settlers was made at Kenton's Station, and some 16 or 18 cabins erected, and fully 20 families altogether. The cabins were erected in a hollow square, adjoining each other-except two cabins, between which was a space of some 30 feet which was picketed. No gate - entered the cabin doors, and these of nights barred with a stout hand spike - doors of slabs nearly 3 inches thick: One story cabins: Corners were block-houses, higher than the other cabins, and jutting over a foot for defense. The enclose within the station was about 8 rods by 4 - longest way of the station along the creek. Some 4 or 5 rods below the station and on the hill side a very large fine spring burst out from which a supply of water was obtained - this spring had rivulets running a few rods into the creek.
None of the original cabins remain today. However, the territory itself and Kenton's Spring can still be seen. It's located off the AA Highway, a short distance behind the K-Mart shopping center. A marker by the side of the road points to the entrance. The marker reads:
Simon Kenton's Station: About 1/2 mile west is site of camp made by Simon Kenton and Thomas Williams in the spring of 1775. They left this camp in the fall and visited stations in area. Kenton returned to camp in 1784, and brought with him a group of his family and friends. During 1784 and 1785, they fortified the station, which became a major stronghold north of Kentucky River.